Updated: Aug 21
Who doesn't love a chocolate, peanut butter, banana combo?!
Whether you're in the mood for an after-dinner treat, or just looking for a healthy-ish sweet snack, these easy, dark chocolate covered bananas with peanut butter smeared in the middle are always a crowd pleaser, and will not disappoint! Decadent, melt-in-your-mouth texture with a little crunch from the frozen chocolate peanut butter combo. Anything that includes chocolate covered peanut butter is a win for me! Add frozen banana bites for extra sweetness, and we're golden. I hope you love them as much as we do.
When purchasing your supplies, I recommend dark chocolate chips/bar that is at least 60% cacao. The higher the percent cacao, the more bitter it will be, but will also include more heart-healthy antioxidants. Melted chocolate with coconut oil will make for easier dipping and prevent hardening of the chocolate. Once finished, the frozen chocolate gives a nice crunch, while the peanut butter stays creamy.
Feel free to use a nut butter of your choice. I chose peanut butter for these bites, (I like Smucker's Natural, creamy) because it is higher in protein compared to some other peanut butters/nut butters. Almond butter would be higher in omega-3 healthy fats, but lower in protein. Both are great options.
The riper the bananas, the sweeter they'll be for your bites. Bananas are naturally high in potassium, a nutrient of concern for Americans, and provide additional fiber, B6 and vitamin C. In combination with antioxidant-rich dark chocolate, and protein-rich peanut butter, count this combo in as a healthy-ish treat :)
Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites with Peanut Butter:
Time: 10 minute prep ; 3 hours total
2-3 ripe bananas
3-4 Tbsp nut butter of choice
1 cup dark chocolate morsels - 60-75% cacao
2 tbsp coconut oil
Sea Salt - optional but recommended!
Parchment paper lined baking sheet
1. Slice bananas into coins and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Slice double the number of treats you'd like to make (if you are making 20 treats, you'll need 40 banana slices).
2. Once tray is filled, place in freezer for ~30 minutes.
3. Remove from freezer and smear thin layer of nut butter on every other line of banana coins
4. Top peanut butter-covered coins with another banana slice.
5. Place in freezer for ~1-2 hours or until frozen solid.
6. Once frozen solid, melt dark chocolate and coconut oil in sauce pan over low heat.
7. Remove frozen bites from freezer, and dip each one half way in chocolate. Sprinkle with sea salt. Return to the parchment paper and refreeze for about 30 minutes.
8. Enjoy immediately, or freezer in sealed bag for up to 1 week.
Follow for more recipes, and share these healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites snack with someone you know would love them!
Be well, by design
**As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn on qualifying links and purchases